Create this summery appetizer with the help of family-owned artisan bakery, BREAD.
|Rolling in the Dough
Starting in June, BREAD artisan bakery
will have a booth at the Anaheim Farmers
Park Market, Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
You can also find them at the Downtown
Santa Ana Farmers Market every Thursday
from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
While perusing the farmers market stalls, one cannot help but get inspired. Juicy watermelons, peppery arugula and giant heirloom tomatoes make June a bountiful month for produce-lovers. But, fruits and vegetables aren’t the only delicacies at our local bazaars. Family-owned BREAD artisan bakery is another unexpected delight. The Santa Ana bakers bring fresh loaves and baguettes to the people each week. Fortunately, OC chefs like Alan Greeley of The Golden Truffle in Costa Mesa took notice. Greeley transforms BREAD’s rustic pain de campagne into a summery appetizer by gussying it up with his Calypso pickled tomatoes. While his dish reminds us of the popular Italian antipasto bruschetta, Greeley spices it up with thinly sliced Fresno chilies. We enjoy the extra heat. Bring on summer!
– 2 lbs. ripe but firm heirloom tomatoes
– 1 Vidalia onion
– 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
– 2 Fresno chilies, sliced thin
– 1 Tbs. course salt
– 1-½ cups mirin (also known as rice wine vinegar)
– 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
– ¼ cup fresh herbs – marjoram (or oregano), dill and thyme
– Campagne rustic artisan-style bread
– Olive oil
– 2 Tbs. fresh herbs for garnish (your choice of lemon basil, dill or cilantro)
Method | Day 1
– Core the tomato but leave the skin on, and coarsely chop into 1” chunks
– Add paper-thin sliced garlic and Fresno chilies
– Mix together in a large bowl and drizzle in the mirin
– Season with salt and pepper to taste
– Sprinkle in fresh herbs
– Marinate overnight
Method | Day 2
– The next day, taste the mixture. Add additional salt if desired.
– Toast the bread over a barbecue or in the oven
– Drizzle bread generously with olive oil
– Scoop mixture on top of toasted bread
– Garnish with fresh herbs