South Coast Stunner
A facelift and expansion for Chanel
The Chanel boutique at South Coast Plaza has reopened in a new location, with a new look and 2,000 more square feet. The new spot, near the diamonds of Tiffany & Co. and the foot traffic of Nordstrom, showcases Chanel’s modern take on classic lines.
On display are tweed jackets, clutch bags, bright-colored boots, skirt suits and the new Girl Bag from the spring/summer ready-to-wear collection by Karl Lagerfeld, first shown on the runway in Paris. Launched in 1990 and renovated in 2005, the South Coast Plaza Chanel has expanded its terrain to 9,000 square feet. “We like to renovate our stores every five to seven years,” said Barbara Cirkva, Chanel fashion division president.
5 things to know about the new Chanel:
1. It’s massive. The store expanded to 9,000 square feet from 7,000 square feet, making it one of the largest boutiques at South Coast Plaza.
2. There’s now a watch and fine jewelry salon. Tucked to the right of the main entrance, the salon boasts gold-beaded walls and rock crystal screens and features a selection of luxury watches. Fine jewelry ranges from $1,000 to $888,000.
3. The Mademoiselle Privé watch collection is launching from South Coast Plaza. The $89,500 Joaillerie watch is laden with 762 diamonds and 155 pink sapphires and has a Mississippiensis alligator strap with 18k white gold.
4. Fitting rooms are high-tech and high-style. While trying on Chanel pieces, shoppers can adjust the temperature, lighting and music through a touch-screen panel. Coastal-inspired art created by Chris Succo, Gregor Hildebrandt and Michael Wilkinson is on display.
5. New York architect Peter Marino designed the renovated boutique. Marino incorporated elements of iconic founder Coco Chanel’s Paris apartment on Rue Cambon, including its Maison d’art Goossens chandeliers. Evoking Southern California’s coastline, the Chanel boutique weaves pale green, soft blue, lilac and coral pink accents into Chanel’s classic color scheme of black, white and gold. According to Cirkva, each Chanel boutique draws inspiration from its location. New York, Paris and Costa Mesa all have a unique decor.
Chanel’s expanded space shows off its ready-to-wear. The accessories salon, below, features handbags and costume jewelry.