- Second Home Stunner
- A half-acre, $20.9 million oasis in Crystal Cove features splashy views and an oversized garage
- by Marilyn Kalfus | Photography by John Beutler
- A home for sale high up in the Crystal Cove hills is a car collector’s haven.
The motor court leads to a temperature controlled, 6,000-square-foot garage that can accommodate 25 cars. It’s not just functional; The upscale garage includes... Full story
- Fresh Catch
- At Little Sparrow in Santa Ana, Chef Eric Samaniego’s menu feels impossibly light, clean and balanced.
- Steve Bramucci
- As Orange County tiptoes into becoming a legitimate player in the national food scene, chefs seem tempted to clonk diners over their heads with attention-grabbing concepts and ultra-rich flavors. By comparison, at Little Sparrow in Santa Ana, C... Full story
- Scenes from the 2015 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells
The 2015 BNP Paribas Tennis Open finished with a dazzling display of tennis brilliance in Indian Wells. Novak Djokovic (Serbia), the No. 1 ranked player in the world, met Roger Federer (Switzerland), the No. 2 ranked player, for the 38th time. In a... Full story
- Bag Lady
- Classic car Culture inspires these homegrown handbags
- Steve Irsay
- With her bright pink Bettie Page ’do and oft-matching pink attire, Jennifer Perkins has a flair for the dramatic. Not surprising, given the Costa Mesa resident spent more than a decade as a costume designer for Disney. After years of creating f... Full story
- Siren of the Sea
- Conservationist Julie Riffe makes the ocean her second home.
- Terence Loose
- More than 400 miles off the coast of mainland Mexico, Julie Riffe hovered 30 feet deep in the cobalt blue waters off uninhabited Clarion Island, her speargun trained on a huge wahoo prowling the waters a dozen yards away. She fought the urge to breat... Full story
- Car Concierge
- Can’t decide which super luxury automobile to buy? He’ll help.
- Steve Irsay / Portrait by Ken Steinhardt
- A couple of years ago, David Cashion got an email from a client with a “problem” of sorts.
The client, a well-to-do OC car lover, was eyeing a trio of forthcoming hybrid supercars: the $1.4 million Ferrari LaFerrari, the $1.15 million Mc... Full story
- Fresh Fish
- Southern Californians who love omakase are swimming in the good stuff.
- Brad A. Johnson
- For anyone who loves sushi, as I do, we’ve got it good here. Nowhere else in the United States – not New York, not San Francisco, nowhere – comes even remotely close to the quality of sushi widely available in Southern California.
... Full story
- On the Edge of Glory
- Local pros say Laguna Beach is poised to take its rightful place as an international mountain biking mecca. All it needs is a little help from authorities.
- Ashley Breeding
- On a clear and balmy afternoon, professional mountain biker Richie Schley is on his daily sunset ride. He drops in and surfs down the mountainside, winding through singletrack hugged by a profusion of greenery so lush he could be in the British Colum... Full story
- One Door Away from Heaven
- Dean Koontz finds sanctuary in his Newport Coast home, designed with a writer’s eye for detail
- Peter Larsen
- Dean Koontz doesn’t get out much and that’s entirely by design.
The author of thrillers, such as the recent “Saint Odd” and scores of earlier best-sellers such as “Watchers” and “Intensity,” says he li... Full story
- Three Masters of Modern
- Architects Anders Lasater, Christopher Brandon and Annette Wiley's impact in shaping the look of Southern California.
- David Ferrell
- Playing with Light, Space and Geology
Driven to grasp the deepest secrets of architectural design, Anders Lasater turned to his other creative passion: music. The boyish-looking amateur drummer and bass guitarist, a fan of Judas Priest and Led Zeppe... Full story